Getting a Car Title in Alabama

In Alabama, if your car, truck or SUV is less than 35 years old, you need the title in order to have a clean and official sale.

To start, you’ll need to head over to the title section of the Alabama DMV.


To Get Your Original Title


If you need an original title, you’ll need to submit an application through a Designated Agent of the Alabama Department of Revenue. These could be through the County License Plate Issuing Officials, any licensed Alabama motor vehicle dealer, and certain banks and credit unions within the state.


To Replace a Lost or Damaged Title


If you’re replacing a lost tile, or receiving your title from a lien-holder, you’ll need to fill out the application for title replacement. Fees, as of Jan. 2017 are $15.00 per motor vehicle application.

Note: There may be other processing fees along with the application fee. Check with your local DMV for pricing in your area.

Contact your local county title and registration office to inquire about the fastest way to secure your title.

Once your info is submitted, you’ll be able to track the progress of your replacement title on the web.

Please note: If you currently owe money on your vehicle in Alabama (have a current lien) cannot purchase your vehicle. You can, however, sell your car to once the final lien payment is made and you have secured your title from the lien-holder.

This information is subject to change and is for informational purposes only. Be sure to check with your local DMV to make sure that all processes are the same.


Helpful Information Locations in Alabama



Get a Quote

Ready to sell your car? Get a quote fast and easy using our Instaquote either over ther phone or online to get a cash offer for your car. So what are you waiting for?

Get a Quote

Get an Offer